Every year we can listen to at least one news telling us how the athlete injured themselves. When it comes to ankle injuries, this applies to every player involved in outdoor games. We hear common ankle injuries in basketball, football, and other athletic events. This generally happens due to incorrect push or an over-do of anything. This is the result of ligament damage. We usually do not tend to notice until we experience the pain. But then, ligament injuries are not something to be taken on an easier note.
Before we take a toss on these damages, that can further become a potential danger, using ankle brace for basketball players are much beneficial.The ankle braces as the name suggests is used to prevent fractures and injuries.About 68 percent of the total players who wore ankle braces were less prone to an ankle sprain and fractures.It is advisable to wear ankle braces at practice days or even game days.Athletes tend to roll their ankles during practice, so it is advisable for them to wear them in order to support their ankles.
Types of ankle braces
● Lace-up brace/semi-rigid brace
These kinds of braces have an interior part that fits like a shoe and outer straps in a figure of six. These braces are widely used almost everywhere and easily available in good stores.It is made of synthetic fabric and secured by Velcro.
● Hard shell braces
These braces are comparatively more rigid than the former making the ankle difficult to move.It is very rigid causing injuries to knees and lower extremities.
Researchers and Study
• University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health showed that athletes wearing lace up braces were less prone to injuries than those who did not.
• UW Health Sports Medicine researcher suggests that even a simple brace can help an athlete in the court. He claims that other methods which have not been proven yet are far better than simple braces outweighing the expense.
• According to Dr.Books regular wearing of braces even in normal games can help in staying aback from these potential injuries.
• Researchers found that of 1500 players for a season who wore braces during practice had 68 percent fewer injuries compared to other players.
Importance of using ankle braces
Ankle braces could be a cost effective way in preventing knee injuries and fractures.
They may not lessen the recovery time for a knee injury but wearing it is a precautionary method as it will help the ankles at the time of gaming.balance and coordination is the method used in ankle braces to cut severe injuries.
● Cost effective method for preventing knee injuries, fractures and immobility of ankles.
● Athletes wearing braces during practice and game days are less prone to potential injuries.
● Helps in free movement of leg bones and prevents recurring of fractures at the same joint.
● Researches prove and claim its importance for the athletes.
However, it is pretty clear that the ankle braces are of greater use and it is a must to wear when you take up sports.